Window Installation in Barrie and Newmarket
Northern Comfort Windows and Doors has a team of installers who are professionals in their field. All our Window and Door Installers work only for us year round, and we do not hire subcontractors. They are factory trained and window wise certified to ensure quality installation.
Types of Installation
There are generally three types of window installation:
This is the most economical way of replacing your window. Only the sashes are removed. The old window frame, wood brick mould and casing trim are left in place. The new window gets installed and foam insulated from inside and out. The interior has a new cove moulding (primed) installed. The exterior wood is covered with bent-on-site aluminum capping with colours usually matching the window. Exterior will be caulked with supra caulking.
Frame Out (Stud to Stud)
Complete window is removed including the frame all the way to the studs. The new window will be installed with jamb extension either in wood or vinyl. The void around the window gets foam insulated inside and out. Once the foam has cured it gets trimmed on the inside and a tape moisture barrier is applied before inside casing trim is applied. Standard casing we use is primed colonial wood casing. Other optional casings are oak, mahogany, also PVC casing with Rosettes can be used too. Aluminum capping is applied on the exterior to compliment your window and will be caulked in order to ensure that no water will penetrate.
Frame Out (Brick to Brick)
This type of installation is very similar as the stud to stud .The main difference is that vinyl brick mould is factory applied to your new window. The exterior is foam insulated and the brick mould is caulked against the brick giving a positive seal. This is the most popular installation on brick homes because it has the most appealing look.
What to Expect on Installation Day
- Our crews will usually arrive between 8:30-9:30am depending on what area you live in. All our trucks are marked so you know it's us. Our installers will introduce themselves and ask for you permission to back up on your driveway. At this time we recommend all other vehicles to be removed from the driveway for safety purpose.
- Most installations are completed in one day. However, some larger projects may require 2-3 days. Occasionally the Install Manager will assign a second crew to minimize the duration of the total renovation.
- Each of our nine crews have a crew leader who is responsible for your entire installation project. If you have any questions you may speak with him or you can call the office and ask for the installation manager. He will answer any of your concerns and resolve any issues you may have, usually in the same day.
- Before starting, our crew will place clean moving blankets around the working area so your floor is protected in all areas of your home where the work is being done. They will also slip on disposable boot covers over their work boots.
- Work always starts from the upper floor working downwards to the lower level.
- Our installers move quickly removing your old windows but are always careful not to damage your walls or other surroundings.
- On cold days, only one window is removed at a time, preparing the opening and installing the new window before removing the next window. This will keep your home from losing too much heat.
- As each work area is finished, debris will be removed to ensure the area is left tidy.
- Once the installation is in its final stages the crew leader will show you how to operate your new windows and doors properly. He will then ask you to fill out a completion slip and sign any finance papers and collect payment.
We hope your installation with Northern Comfort Windows and Doors was a pleasant one. All your warranties will be mailed to you. We will also ask you to fill out a short customer survey. Your feedback is very important to us.