5 Ways Windows Can Lower your Air Conditioning Costs
Did you have a case of air-conditioner bill shock last fall? That’s what we call it when your electric bill comes in and you need to lay down with a cool cloth on your forehead to deal with the bad news.
The good news is there are some things you can do to keep your air conditioning costs down. As Aurora’s window and door specialists, we can give you some pointers on using your windows to keep your home cooler and your AC bills lower.
Check the seals on your doors and windows
Airtightness counts when it comes to cooling. Over time, moisture and rot can compromise the seals and let warm, humid air inside your house. Good quality door and window seals keep the cooled AC air inside, just as they keep the heat indoors in winter. Have your faulty window seals and weather stripping replaced, and place draft blockers along the bottoms of doors.
Replace your old windows with vinyl energy-efficient windows
If you have outdated, poor-quality windows, they’re letting your cooled air escape and hot, damp air in. That means you’ll end up paying more for air conditioning. It’s important to invest in your windows for long-term savings. All our windows are CSA-approved and Energy Star rated. Our sales representatives will help you choose windows with an insulation rating that will keep your AC costs down.
Pull the blinds and close the curtains
The cooler your house, the less work your air conditioner has to do. On the hottest days, draw the curtains to block the sun’s heat from warming your floors and walls; if you don’t, they’ll give off stored heat all night while you’re trying to sleep.
Put solar screens on windows
This is based on the same principle as the curtains. Good quality solar screens keep out the heat and can reduce your cooling costs significantly.
Install window air-conditioning units properly
You need to have the right kind of window for a window air-conditioning unit to work properly. Most ductless window units are too heavy for standard cheap vinyl replacement windows and sashes. We can help you choose and install a sturdy window that can accommodate your unit and its screw-on window brace.
More hot tips for keeping your home or cottage cool on a budget
- When in the market for a cottage, consider buying one that doesn’t have central air conditioning. That way you can use ductless window units only in select rooms in order to keep costs down. Make sure you have windows installed that can handle the weight of your air conditioners.
- To keep your home or cottage cool at night without using the air conditioner, try placing a box fan in the open window at night. It will draw in cool air and circulate it around your bedroom.
- Why You Should Upgrade to Vinyl Windows
- What does the colour of your front door say about you?
- 7 Creative Ways to Upcycle Your Window Shutters
- The Benefits of Energy Efficient Windows and Doors
- How to clean Windows and Doors for a Streak Free Finish
- Humidity and Window Condensation in Your Home
- Do I need a building permit to install my new windows?
- 2018 Front Door Buyer's Guide
- Northern Comfort Windows & Doors Receives HomeStars' Best of 2018 Award
- Northern Comfort first to market with next generation of Window Technology
- How to Avoid the 10 Window Buying Pitfalls
- New Doors and Windows Installation: The Benefit, Style and Features of French Doors
- Windows vs. Birds: Consider a Window Replacement with Northern Comfort
- Northern Comfort Windows & Doors Servicing Ontario Discusses Front Door Replacements
- 5 Reasons to Adore Patio Doors
- Why Updating Your Garage Door Should be Your Next Home Renovation
- Trust the Professionals: Why Window Installation Matters
- Why Cardinal Glass is Right for Your Window Replacement
- Trust Northern Comfort When It’s Time to Renovate Your Windows and Doors
- Do I Need to Replace My Wood Cottage Windows?
- Invest in Your Windows for Long-Term Savings
- 5 Ways Windows Can Lower your Air Conditioning Costs
- Aurora Homeowners: The Ideal Season to Change Your Windows
Get a Free Quote
Schedule your free in-home, no-obligation quote today.
We will not share your email. No spam.