Do I need a building permit to install my new windows?
So you’ve decided you need replacement windows, or to turn your basement into an apartment and need additional or larger windows, or that you should enlarge the that window in your kitchen and replace it with a patio door. Do you know if you need a permit to complete this project?
When it comes to windows, you only need a permit if you will be making structural or material alterations to your house as part of the install. Simply stated, this means that if you are creating new openings for, or increasing the size of windows, a permit will be required. (These are also the same rules that apply to entry doors & patio doors).
Conversely, this also means that if all you are doing is replacing your old windows for new windows of the same size, a permit will not be required.
Whether you need new windows in Barrie, or new windows in Newmarket, the rules are fairly consistent. As are the repercussions of not obtaining a permit. As the homeowner, you are responsible for ensuring that any work taking place on your property is done so following municipal rules. Failure to obtain a building permit can result in costly delays, legal action or even the removal of work already completed. So if your window project requires a permit - it’s best to obtain one as the consequences are not worth the risk.
There are fees applicable when applying for a permit and they are usually calculated based on the type and the size of building where the work is taking place. Those fees will also vary depending on your location.
Still not quite sure if you require a permit or what kind of new windows would be best for the project you have in mind? Give us a call and we’ll be happy to assist and answer your questions, as well as provide you with a free quote.
For ease of reference we’ve linked to some of the permit sections of the municipalities we serve below.
- How to Choose the Right Energy-Efficient Windows for Your Home
- Using a new Front Door to Boost Curb Appeal
- How Glass Windows Are Made
- Spruce up Windows with Stylish Window Coverings
- How do I know when I Need New Windows
- Why You Should Upgrade to Vinyl Windows
- What does the colour of your front door say about you?
- 7 Creative Ways to Upcycle Your Window Shutters
- The Benefits of Energy Efficient Windows and Doors
- How to clean Windows and Doors for a Streak Free Finish
- Humidity and Window Condensation in Your Home
- Do I need a building permit to install my new windows?
- 2018 Front Door Buyer's Guide
- Northern Comfort Windows & Doors Receives HomeStars' Best of 2018 Award
- Northern Comfort first to market with next generation of Window Technology
- How to Avoid the 10 Window Buying Pitfalls
- New Doors and Windows Installation: The Benefit, Style and Features of French Doors
- Windows vs. Birds: Consider a Window Replacement with Northern Comfort
- Northern Comfort Windows & Doors Servicing Ontario Discusses Front Door Replacements
- 5 Reasons to Adore Patio Doors
- Why Updating Your Garage Door Should be Your Next Home Renovation
- Trust the Professionals: Why Window Installation Matters
- Why Cardinal Glass is Right for Your Window Replacement
- Trust Northern Comfort When It’s Time to Renovate Your Windows and Doors
- Do I Need to Replace My Wood Cottage Windows?
- Invest in Your Windows for Long-Term Savings
- 5 Ways Windows Can Lower your Air Conditioning Costs
- Aurora Homeowners: The Ideal Season to Change Your Windows
Get a Free Quote
Schedule your free in-home, no-obligation quote today.
We will not share your email. No spam.